American Civil Liberties Union of Utah Foundation, Inc
355 North 300 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84103
(801) 521-9862 Phone • (801) 532-2850 Fax
ACLU of Utah
ACLU of Utah
The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah seeks an experienced full-time fundraiser to support and enhance its development efforts with primary responsibility for securing increased and sustainable resources to preserve and defend civil liberties.
The ACLU of Utah is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a national public interest organization. As a statewide affiliate, we work collaboratively with the National ACLU headquarters in New York to defend civil liberties as guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights. The ACLU of Utah celebrated its 55th anniversary in Utah in 2013.
With a current staff of seven, the ACLU of Utah and its Foundation operate jointly as private, non-profit organizations. To achieve our mission, we manage legal, legislative and public education programs on a broad range of constitutional issues including discrimination, free speech, religious freedom, reproductive rights, racial justice, LGBT rights, and privacy.
We are looking for someone who is flexible, enjoys a fast-paced environment, and who is prepared to be part of a strategic leadership team that also includes the Executive Director, the Legal Director and the Legislative and Policy Counsel.
The Development Director reports directly to the Executive Director and will raise funds for the ACLU while strengthening the relationships between the ACLU and its supporters. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development is responsible for planning, supervising and executing development activities, as well as long-range fundraising strategies. The Development Director provides leadership to and collaborates with other staff, as well as the Board of Directors, to reach our annual and long-range fundraising goals.
Annual Gifts Program: Identify, develop and implement strategies for the cultivation of prospective donors; identify donor prospects and maintain records on current donors; facilitate solicitations for the Executive Director and board leadership; prepare materials for solicitors and donors; work with the national office to coordinate donor appeals; prepare reports. Coordinate and implement cultivation and stewardship events for donors, when such events are in support of annual and long-term fundraising strategies.
Major Gifts Campaign: Manage and strengthen current major donor relationships with the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Research donor prospects in partnership with National ACLU office. Develop and implement strategies for the cultivation of new prospective donors for gifts in both the Special Gifts ($1000 - $5000) and Major Gifts ($5000+) categories.
Foundation Support Cultivation: Manage and maintain existing foundation relationships. Research Utah-based foundations; cultivate relationships with and solicit support from appropriate foundation revenue sources (within national ACLU sharing guidelines). Responsible for all foundation relationship maintenance, including submission of reports.
Gift Recording & Acknowledgement: Make full use of the organization’s databases and tracking systems to ensure appropriate donor stewardship and to evaluate and report overall program performance. Work with staff to maintain accurate and current data files, including giving histories, profiles, interactions; coordinate with the ACLU National Office regarding changes and updates. Become proficient in National ACLU sharing formulas, produce reports for annual audits and verify reconciliation of funds between the ACLU of Utah and the National office.
Materials: Oversee the development of the Annual Report and other materials, as necessary, that advance the ACLU’s development programs.
- Help with event planning, implementation, staffing and follow-up as needed;
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers to advance the goals of the organization;
- Work evenings and weekends when necessary;
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Commitment to civil liberties principles.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree desirable.
- Three or more years proven experience in fundraising focusing on individual major gifts and fundraising campaigns, particularly in non-profit advocacy or community-based organizations.
- Broad understanding of multi-faceted campaign planning, implementation and management.
- Successful track record of identifying, cultivating and soliciting major individual donors and foundations.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; experience in successfully directing volunteers in positive team-oriented approaches.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working with donors, volunteers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with experience developing successful written donor communications.
- Computer proficiency, including list/database management.
- Knowledge of e-philanthropy strategies
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of ACLU mission and principles.
Compensation And Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Please send a letter of interest and resume with three references in pdf format to:
ACLU of Utah
Attn: Human Resources
Applications accepted until position is filled.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply.