UTAH SYMPHONY | UTAH OPERA
POSITION: Assistant Orchestra Personnel Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Orchestra Personnel
POSITION ROLE: The Assistant Orchestra Personnel Manager assists the
Director of Orchestra Personnel as the administrator of the Utah Symphony | Utah Opera’s collective bargaining agreement; acts as liaison between management and orchestra; serves as resource and counsel for orchestra musicians; supports the day-to-day personnel activities of the Utah Symphony | Utah Opera; serves as main coordinator of orchestra auditions; fulfills duties of the Director of Orchestra Personnel, including managing payroll, in his/her absence; provides administrative and secretarial support to the Director of Orchestra Personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Performed each work day, as necessary)
- Work with the Director of Orchestra Personnel in administering the Collective Bargaining Agreement with respect to all services; start and stop times, breaks, attendance, seating, hiring of substitute and extra musicians as needed, posting schedules, rehearsal orders, and official communications, etc.
- Have a working knowledge of the attendance and payroll systems.
- Manage personnel files and databases; personal data, contracts, payroll.
- Serve as Audition Coordinator, organizing and maintaining all applications and resumes; communicating time and date of auditions to internal and external candidates, audition committee and musicians’ union in timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure that auditions run smoothly by attending all auditions, being available to answer questions, and assisting the Director of Orchestra Personnel as needed.
- Maintain files (communications, guidelines, and repertoire) for each audition in an organized and accessible manner.
- Share the responsibility of attending rehearsals and concerts with the Director of Orchestra Personnel.
- Responsible for instrument insurance billing, changes, and general updating of database.
- Participates in all relevant orchestra and staff meetings, such as Orchestra Committee meetings.
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to handle and organize multiple tasks and to respond to multiple inquiries.
- Heavy emphasis on record keeping and documentation consistent with overall needs of orchestra personnel, the Collective Bargaining Agreement and management.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Computer literacy: ability to work with word processing, spreadsheet and database software systems (Word, Excel, Access, FileMaker)
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to maintain strict confidentiality of personnel and benefit records.
- Flexible work schedule, including nights, weekends, services away from Abravanel Hall, and travel for tours and run-outs as needed.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- College bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Preference given to candidates with professional orchestral experience and/or experience in orchestra personnel administration.
- Knowledge of classical music and understanding of orchestral instrumentation.
- Duties are performed using repetitive finger, hand and arm movements.
- Duties require fine manipulation (use of computer keyboard) and simple grasping (files, documents, telephone, writing instruments)
- Duties may require combinations of the above movements.
To apply please send cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com or Utah Symphony | Utah Opera, 123 West South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101.