Welcome to UCA's new events blog!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Book Signing by Authors of "what I thought I saw" @ Art Access (SLC: Jan 12)


Book Signing

what I thought I saw

a book of photographs and essays by 
Kimberly Silcox (zoë rodriguez), Peta-Owens-Liston, Amy Albo and Sasha Polak.

January 12th from 5 - 7 PM
at Art Access Gallery
230 S. 500 West, #125

In March of 2008, Art Access hosted what I thought I saw, an exhibition based on a book project that challenges "the way we look at things because maybe we just don't know." 

The exhibition consisted of ten large-scale photographic portraits of a variety of people and the stories of who they really are. Some of the subjects included an ex-Playboy Bunny with an amazing heart; a blind Native American sculptor who can make a feather look like its blowing in the wind; an artist with a severe physical disability who is often approached as if he's mentally disabled; a transgendered man/woman/man; and a woman who lives two realities -- now a 125-pound woman, formerly 350 pounds. Several of the book subjects are from Utah. 

Photographers Kim Wilcox (zoë rodriguez) and Sasha Polak; and writers Peta Owens-Liston and Amy Albo collaborated on the book. In celebration of the recent publication of what I thought I saw, the four project artists will participate in a book signing and party at Art Access Gallery on Thursday, January 12 from 5-7 PM. Light refreshments will be served.
  
For more information, contact Sheryl Gillilan, 801-328-0703, option 3; or zoë rodriguez at 801-918-0587.

No comments:

Post a Comment