FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
City Library to host four-day conference addressing cultural and religious pluralism
August 23, 2011 – SALT LAKE CITY -- The City Library will host a four-day conference, Cultural and Religious Pluralism Today: Building Civility and Unity, from September 8–11, 2011, at the Main Library. The conference, comprised of speakers, panels, a film screening and an Eid al-Fitr celebration, will promote free discussion among our community's many faiths.
The public is invited to attend individual events, and to participate in dialogue that explores and compares traditions and cultures, recognizes commonalities between faiths, affirms the right to express cultural outlooks and religious faith freely, fosters a respectful and peaceful society, and explores opportunities for cooperation between members of different cultures and faiths.
Highlighted events include:
· Keynote address by Robert Hefner, Director of the Institute on Culture, Religion, and World Affairs (CURA) at Boston University, titled “The Challenge of Religious Pluralism and Democratic Citizenship Today.”
· Lecture by Dr. Charles M. Payne, author and professor at the University of Chicago on building movements from the bottom up.
· A roundtable discussion with young leaders discussing perspectives on how to share power, resources, and accountability in a pluralistic society.
· A free screening of Out of Cordoba, a feature-length documentary exploring issues important to religious pluralism, with a discussion with director Jacob Bender.
· Eid al-Fitr celebration marking the end of Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting. The City Library's Eid al-Fitr celebration will include crafts, a magician, and henna tattoo painting.
A complete listing of events and descriptions of speakers is available at www.slcpl.org/pluralism. No registration is required.
The Cultural and Religious Pluralism Today conference is generously sponsored by:
· Interreligious Engagement Initiative, Utah Valley University
· Islamic Society of Greater Salt Lake
· Utah Humanities Council
· Tanner Humanities Center, University of Utah
· The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
· Calvary Baptist Church
· Center for Documentary Arts
· The Foundation for Religious Diplomacy
· Iqra Academy of Utah
· Islamic Speakers Bureau
· Middle East Center, University of Utah
· Multicultural Services Round Table, Utah Library Association
· Muslim Students Association, Salt Lake Community College and University of Utah
· Office of Spiritual Life, Westminster College
· Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable
· SLC Film Center
· Sri Ganesha Hindu Temple of Utah
Communications Manager | Salt Lake City Public Library
p: 801.524.8219 | m: 801.819.3763 | firstname.lastname@example.org