Utah Cultural Alliance is one of the community sponsors of Love UT Give UT, being presented by the Community Foundation of Utah. We invite our members to participate! The deadline to sign up is March 1st. See below for information.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Love UT Give UT?
Love UT Give UT is a one-day virtual event that encourages all residents of Utah to contribute to our nonprofit organizations through a single online giving platform. The event will take place on Friday, March 22, 2013. Love UT Give UT is modeled after many similar events across the country, including Park City’s “Live PC Give PC”, which raised nearly $600,000 this November. Utah’s statewide campaign is coordinated by The Community Foundation of Utah.
What are the event’s goals?
Love UT Give UT’s vision is that every citizen contributes to the organization of their choice. We have four simple goals:
Grow philanthropy Create a fun and engaging way for all Utahns to learn about critical issues impacting our state and inspire them to give.
Grow revenue Bring new donors to the organizations that make our state and its future strong.
Grow capacity Build a permanent online giving platform so that all charities – no matter where they are, who they serve, or how big their budget – can access online giving, now and for years to come.
Grow community Love UT Give UT is a day for Utahns of all backgrounds and beliefs to come together to raise as much money for nonprofit organizations and schools as possible.
How does it work?
On March 22, 2013, we will host a 24-hour virtual event encouraging charitable donations through an online giving platform. The Community Foundation of Utah will provide the web-landing page for donations in partnership with the Razoo Foundation, a registered 501(c)(3) public charity. The Community Foundation will provide toolkits, webinars, outreach support, mass media and social media coverage to make it easy for all nonprofits and schools to participate, especially small and rural agencies. Each participating organization – including schools - will have an individualized web page to promote their cause.
Individuals will be able to donate money to the nonprofit organizations and schools of their choice. Donors will be able to look up organizations by name, issue or cause, or zip code. All donations are tax deductible. Donors will receive a receipt and have a record of their giving. The nonprofit organizations will receive contact information for each donor.
Four online leaderboards will add a sense of competition and excitement during the build-up and event day. Additional cash grants will go to three winners in each category for the day:
- Nonprofit organizations with budgets under $100,000 that get the most donors.
- Nonprofits organizations with budgets under $1,000,000 that get the most donors.
- Nonprofits organizations with budgets over $1,000,000 that get the most donors.
- An education leaderboard will track schools, school foundations, colleges and universities who receive the most donations.
We will draw the name of a donor every two hours and award their organization an additional gift!
Who can donate to Love UT Give UT?
Any individual may donate, no matter where they live in the U.S. Donations are tax deductible and irrevocable (donations will not be refunded).
Who is eligible to participate?
In order to participate in Love UT Give UT, organizations must complete an agreement with the Community Foundation and:
- Have been determined by the IRS to be a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization, and have a current Utah Charitable Solicitation Permit or be an exempt per Utah’s Division of Consumer Protection rules and regulations.
- Primarily serve individuals living in Utah. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for organizations that are headquartered in Utah but serve an international humanitarian or national role.
- Educational institutions are eligible provided they have an affiliated foundation, association or fund that can receive tax-deductible donations, for example, a school district foundation or an independent school. Public and private nonprofit universities are automatically eligible.
- Faith based service organizations are eligible, for example, Catholic Community Services or Jewish Family Services.
The following are ineligible: corporate or private foundations, political organizations and places of worship.
Why should my school / nonprofit participate in Love UT Give UT?
Love UT Give UT is an opportunity to:
- Raise funds for your organization.
- Cultivate new donors.
- Educate community members.
- Reinvigorate lapsed donors.
- Convert check-writing donors to online donors.
- Demonstrate a unified, diverse, and strong voice to represent Utah’s nonprofit community.
This campaign’s success will depend on our collective enthusiasm and implementation. We’re asking nonprofit professionals, volunteers, businesses and citizens to bring their skills and experiences to this effort.
What do non-profits need to do to participate?
Non-profits and school primary activities are to:
- Create a landing page for your organization using the Razoo platform.
- Broadcast the campaign's message using newsletters, email blasts, Facebook, Twitter.
- Use the Love UT Give UT logo and other provided images and messages consistent with the branding guidelines.
- Secure matching grants and prizes to entice donors to your group.
- Consider organizing an outreach event or community stunt to help further increase exposure for your organization.
- Think outside the box, be engaged and have fun!!!
Is there a fee to participate?
There is no fee for an organization to participate in Love UT Give UT. A 5% fee will be deducted from each online donation to cover credit card transaction fees and a portion of the cost of the giving portal Web site.
Is there a minimum or maximum donation?
The minimum donation on Love UT Give UT Web site is $10. There is no maximum donation. There is no maximum amount an organization may receive.