Thursday, February 28, 2013
NEWS: Call for entries: It's time to build birdhouses!
CALL FOR ENTRIES – IT’S TIME TO BUILD BIRDHOUSES!
Ogden, UT – Get out your hammer, nails, glue and screws and pull out all the stops to be part of this year’s 20th Anniversary of the Ogden Nature Center’s Birdhouse Competition and Exhibit.
Start building now and bring your masterpiece to the Ogden Nature Center between March 25th and 30th. There is no entry fee. A select jury of professional artists and bird experts will judge the competition and choose birdhouses for the exhibit along Birdhouse Trail. Selected birdhouses will be installed and exhibited April 11 through August 31. Winners in both adult and child categories will receive cash prizes at a reception and awards presentation on Wednesday, April 10 at 5:30 pm in the L.S. Peery Education Building at the Ogden Nature Center.
All types of birdhouses are welcome: whimsical, beautiful, practical, functional, artistic or magical – but all need to be sturdy! The Nature Center encourages the use of natural, reclaimed and recycled materials. Please consider the environment when choosing your materials and finishes. All ages are welcome to enter up to two creations. Working as a family or as a team, i.e., grandfather/grandson etc., is acceptable and encouraged! A helpful guide of dimension preferences for certain bird species can be found on the Nature Center’s website athttp://www.ogdennaturecenter.org/images/stories/BIRDHOUSE_SIZE_REQUIREMENTS.jpg
• All birdhouses must be original works created by the exhibitor. Commercially produced birdhouses or assembled kits will not be accepted.
• Size limitations: The base of the birdhouse may not exceed 24" square. The height of the actual birdhouse (not including the post) may not exceed 36" tall.
• All birdhouses must be freestanding and ready for installation outdoors. Birdhouses that are not freestanding will not be accepted for the exhibit. You must perch your birdhouse atop a sturdy post or attach a strong hanger. Posts will be installed at a depth of 1-2 feet.
• The Nature Center encourages the use of natural, reclaimed and recycled materials. Please consider the environment when choosing your materials and finishes. Please, no propane tanks this year.
• Please build sturdy birdhouses. Birdhouses need to last through all seasons outdoors.
• The event judges will select which birdhouses are accepted into the 2013 exhibit. A limited number of entries will be accepted for the exhibit.
• The Ogden Nature Center reserves the right to refuse submissions.
This exhibit would not be possible without its main sponsors: the Utah Arts Council and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Registration forms and full details are also available online at http://www.ogdennaturecenter.org/news-and-special-events/item/183-its-time-to-build-birdhouses or pick up an entry form at the visitor services desk at the Ogden Nature Center, 966 W. 12th Street, Ogden, UT 84404. For more information, please call the Ogden Nature Center at 801-621-7595.