Salary: Based on experience
Job Description: Summary
The Utah Museum of Contemporary Art seeks a Director of Development. This position is responsible for development and implementation of UMOCA’s development program, researching, cultivating, and soliciting a variety of funding sources, and for generating creative connections between the community and UMOCA development activities. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, and works directly with the Executive Director, staff, and volunteers to accomplish tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates and implements a comprehensive development program, outlined in a development plan that integrates individual, corporate, foundation, and government funding sources.
- Develops and implements a structured fundraising program as an aspect of the Museum’s overall development program. Develops and implements new major gifts program.
- Cultivates potential contributors to UMOCA and encourages individuals, corporations and foundations to establish or contribute to major gifts, endowments, trusts, donations of gifts-in-kind, or bequests.
- Oversees the Development Coordinator and all aspects of grant applications to foundations, corporations, and government agencies including documentation and reporting as required.
- Identifies and develops sources for exhibition and event sponsorship.
- Proactively seeks new funding sources and enhance relationships with current and past major museum donors, trustees, and other key supporters.
- Works closely with the Executive Director and Trustees to achieve UMOCA development goals.
Annual Giving, Membership and Public Programs
- Oversees the annual giving campaign and all aspects of annual giving including membership, donor drives, and donor recognition with Development Coordinator
- Works with the Membership Coordinator to develop and implement a effective membership program including development of strategies to enhance and expand museum membership and to create opportunities for membership promotion.
- Works with the Development Coordinator and supervises all aspects of UMOCA’s donors groups, as well as the Ambassadors Circle, and signature events such as the annual Gala.
- Generates creative ideas and approaches for public programming that connects donors and supporters to the UMOCA.
- Oversees Development Coordinator.
- Acts as a liaison to Board of Trustees’ Development, Gala, and Strategic Visioning Committees.
- Participates in strategic planning to determine funding needs.
- Oversees activities of staff engaged in the administration of records of contributors, grants, and fundraising activities.
- Attends Board of Trustee meetings as requested.
- Develops and oversees preparation of the departmental budget.
- Participates in meetings with staff and the Executive Director.
- Participates and coordinates volunteers and public partners for UMOCA events, development programs, and advisory committees.
- Cultivates community partnerships and engagement with development when possible.
- Active in the local, regional, and national Development community.
- College degree with a minimum of 5 years experience in researching, cultivating, and soliciting a variety of funding sources – museum and not-for-profit experience highly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong organization skills.
- Knowledge of basic database and fundraising software – Giftworks preferred.
- Knowledge of and interest in contemporary art.
- Experience and interest in working with the general public and serving as the public “ambassador” of UMOCA.
- Ability to work with donors, community leaders, members, the public, and co-workers professionally and as a part of a team.
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
How to Apply: Please send cover letter with salary requirements, a resume and a writing sample to Jennifer Klekas at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 1/15/13